[pct-l] Class of 2010 - trash

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Dec 17 12:48:47 CST 2009

I'll never forget starting Section A with Scout (aka Barney Mann).  Anyone
who hikes that section knows that there is a TON of stuff left behind by
persons migrating through the area immediately north of the border. Seemed
to taper off by Mt. Laguna.  Most pervasive were the socks and handmade
blanket sandals. We actually found the place where all lost socks go to die,
and came away with one of them to which we sewed button eyes and a nose,
breathing life into "Sock Puppet."  Smart aleck little dickens that Sock
Puppet, but I digress.  All along under and behind bushes were food
containers, clothing of every type, and blankets.  For someone who is
accustomed to picking up debris left behind, we were on pick-up overload and
simply could not carry it all out, though we did our best.

It would be nice if some kind of system could be established where hikers
were given trash bags to carry through those early miles of the trail, and
an arranged pick-up at road crossings could be established, similar to what
you see along the highway when they have folks doing community service
clean-up.

L-Rod