[pct-l] Neo Air vs foam pads

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 21 16:22:07 CST 2009

P178 wrote:

Does an air pad like the Neo Air make that big a difference for those who
have tried both?

Absolutely!  I've tried to use a variety of thinner/lighter pads and I just
don't sleep well at all.  My body aches all night, I toss and turn, and I
keep checking my watch because *surely* it's been more than 20 minutes since
I last checked the time!

So for me, a comfortable air pad like the Neo Air (actually I use the Big
Agnes Air Core Mummy, which is similar) is "worth its weight in snickers
bars".  That's a direct quote from a thruhiker I met a couple of years ago
who encouraged me to try it and I'm completely sold on it.

Other people have no problems sleeping on a worn-out old Z-Rest or whatever,
and I salute them.  That's awesome, but I can't do it.

The only downside is that if you do get a hole in it, it would be completely
worthless for anything.  Be sure to bring along a small repair kit (less
than one ounce).

Eric