[pct-l] Layering

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Tue Dec 22 09:41:24 CST 2009

Sorry for taking this one all the way back to the beginning, but there
was one comment I wanted to address:

> If it is the air between the layers more than layers themselves that
> produce warmth...

This is not true.  It is the air trapped in the layers, more than the
air between the layers, that provide insulation.  http://www.askthebuilder.com/How_Does_Insulation_Work.shtml
   The paragraphs starting with "Conduction" and "Convection" and the
couple after that are the primary ones.

This is why large chamber (uninsulated) air mattresses (think pool
rafts) are some of the coldest ways to sleep.  They have only a single
layer of the precious insulation of air and are thus a bad source of
insulation because they suffer from convection and conduction.  You
want a material that conducts poorly, like down or fiber fill, to
prevent the convection of the air, since it conducts heat even worse.

Also, insulation does NOT "produce warmth" it only prevents it from
moving too far away from you.  If you are not producing enough warmth,
adding insulation will not help you that much.  It "traps" heat.

It also helps if you understand that from a physics point of view,
there is no cold - only "heat" and "less heat".

BillB