[pct-l] Electrolytes

Jim Bravo jimbravo at wildblue.net
Thu Dec 24 17:12:29 CST 2009

No question that exercising (and non-exercising) individuals have widely varying sodium and potassium requirements. It took me years of trail ultras to figure out that I needed a lot more than most people. I am a prolific perspirer, even when very well heat-trained (takes about 10 days to acclimate...those PCTers living and training in a warm climate have a head start). The Western States 100 medical staff has done a ton of research on this issue over the years. Here is a link to their Participants Guide, it is well done. Check out Chapter 18, "Fluids and Electrolytes".

http://www.ws100.com/pguide.htm#xviii

What finally solved my trail maladies were Succeed "S" Caps (I don't like recommending products). Here is a link to their site:

http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html

If I am sweating fairly regularly for more than an hour or two I take an S cap every 2 hours or so. Depends on your level of fitness, particular physiology, and the severity of the environmental factors. YMMV for sure.

JB