[pct-l] June start & hiking partners

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Thu Dec 31 09:54:27 CST 2009

With that schedule you may have to hike south. Most south-bounders leave
Canada in mid-June and reach Mexico in October or November. This would give
you five months to complete your journey, which is about the average time it
takes most thru-hikers.

It would be difficult to complete a thru-hike going north starting in
mid-June because that will only give you approximately 3.5 months to get to
Canada before the snow starts to fall in the northern parts of the trail.

You would need to be a very fast and strong hiker. Assuming you hiked six
days per week you would have to average around 30 miles per day for the
duration of your hike to get to Canada before the end of September.

The desert is also very hot in June and many of the water sources that are
running in the spring have dried up by then.

If you absolutely must leave in June south-bounding or flip-flopping are
probably your best options.

Happy trails,
Erik the Black

Pre-order a PCT Atlas and save 20%: