[pct-l] Fear factor

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 12:26:09 CST 2009

Just to be clear, i'm not taking any sides on the fear-mongering vs. wise warning issue.   I'm just advocating prevention as first priority.   I won't do something that makes me likely to get hurt, in the name of being better prepared in the event i get hurt.  In this case, keeping stable for me personally  is priority over being able to more easily escape once i've fallen.

Frankly, if there is a 4-foot deep fast-moving glacier stream, i'm not crossing it anyway.

I took a sounding as best i could on Milk Creek before i crossed it, and it was about 3 feet and very fast when i was there.  I scouted upstream and found a log to scoot across on.  The only creek other than that one that could have potentially been fatal at the level i crossed it was the Suiattle in Washington.   Again that was a log cross or scoot, not a ford.