[pct-l] Evolution and Bear Creek crossings questions?

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 5 01:29:33 CST 2009

I hope this is a little more constructive than you expected.  First of all, when I was looking at Lion's video I took it that the first slow water meadow crossing is an alternate ford up stream of the stock ford.  I've heard there is one.  If this is so, can someone offer a heads up for those soon to pass that way, and I'd like to know myself as I pass that way every couple years and though I never needed it before, I like to know where things are.  I do get out there early season often.  Also, if the crossing is way up in the meadows I am wondering if there is a reasonably established usage trial bypass running along the south side?  This would explain why it not only looked easy, but the comments during the video at Bear Creek that Evolution was much easier than Evolution.  The evolution stock crossing at the main trial looks like it has potential to be pretty much impossible just about any June as it is over the knee in late July, but of course not raging through.
Secondly, I was studying my map and contemplating how feasable it would be to scout the cross country route from Sandpiper Lake over to the Seven Gable Lakes drainage and thereby bypassing Bear Creek altogether.  While it I understand folks are suggesting Bear Creek wont be so bad this season, sometimes it is.  And I know why.  If you look at your map you'll see that two big drainages and one smaller one converge right upstream from the ford.  You have everything in the big lake basins north of Selden Pass running into Bear Creek proper, and just above the ford, but unseen from the trail IIRC, the big Bear Lakes and Seven Gables Lakes basins come roaring in as the East Fork of Bear Creek.  What I am contemplating are a couple different approches to check out.  It looks entirely feasible to head rightover to Sandpiper Lake from Maries Lakes just down the trial from Selden Pass.  From there one can see some of the route contouring around the hips of Seven Gables Peak.  Also, just down the trail a little ways is the cutoff trail leading to Lou Beverly Lake that continues on over to Sandpiper.  (I've been through there twice decending from Seven Gables Pass.  Awsome if you ever get the chance, and Sandpiper and the area are phenominal, not to mention crossing Selden a few other times.)  What I don't know...  I don't know how the terrain will lend itself to crosscountry travel from Sandpiper or Lou Beverly on the way over to the Seven Gables drainage.  I expect like most off trail rambling there would be some easy fun stuff and some more tedious patient route finding, perhaps a little bushwhacking or talus negotiating.  What I do know...  What I do know is the Seven Gables Lakes trail can be gained somewhere in the vicinity of the lowest lake which would probably offer perhaps even a dry safe crossing which is often the case in basins with nearly level open terrain, and if not there one should be close by.  But again experience suggests the outlet of a lotof theselakes runs slowly out betweeneasily walked over rock.   What I doubt...  I doubt there would be a safe crossing until one gets over in the lower basin above the steeper fall line of the East fork draining the basin.  That's how I am interpreting the map.  The scouting.  I've been in the upper basin crossing over to gain Seven Gables Pass.  Cross country travel is said to be easy going and I can attest to that.  It is almost level, and from what I saw looking down the basin very fun travel.  Easy rock stepping, grassy sections, and sand.  As easy as it gets.  Cross country travel isn't for everyone, and I'm not suggesting this as a viable alternative, but it might just be.  It looks like about a three or four mile excursion depending on where one leaves the trail, and once at the small lake the trail leads three miles back down to the JMT/PCT right north of the Bear Creek ford.  I interpret crosscounty travel more in time. While it looks straight forward on the map, things can be very different once out there, so I'd give myself mostof a day so I would feel relaxed and unhurried.  Like I said, I get to looking at maps and just get ideas, and this looks like one worth doing.  Ihave a sneaking suspicion there may even be a usage trail along there somewhere as folks go out to climb Seven Gables quite often, and I have a strange instinct or knack, coincidence, call it what you will, for finding paths.
If folks like my idea and would be interested in how this might turn out, and since I intend to gain the PCT and head to VVR and thence on north up the PCT from somewhere in this general vicinity, I'm looking at headingover the easterncrest at Piute Pass trail, down Piute canyon to the JMT/PCT jct at the north terminus of Kings park and heading on up to Selden from there.  Then try my route.  I can easily go take a look from the high ground on the far side of Marie Lake right off the trail.  If the water's running high, which I'll have a good idea on Piute trail, and the Desolation drainage, French Canyon creek and so on, I'd probably go on to Bear Creek ford and see if anyone has turned back or is stuck and anyone who wants to follow along and give a try at bypassing would be welcome to come have a look. I would also be carrying some extra food and coffee and tea just in case someone needs it that wont quite make VVR if they wait for the water crossing to go down overnight or some such thing.
So when I get to VVR I'll have something to talk about anyway.  I've been debating with myself as to whether I should throw this out there, but there it is.