[pct-l] Leg Exercises, etc.

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 04:34:19 CST 2009

Weight training can be a valuable addition to other exercise to get ready to
hike.  As many have already mentioned, probably the best training to hike is
hiking...put on your pack and walk as much as you can.  Any other aerobic
exercise works as well.
Weight training should not be very heavy to train for hiking.  The goal is
not to build bulk, but to build strength, or strengthen weak areas.  For
example, I have a back that gives out sometimes, and knees that have taken a
lifetime of abuse.  In the gym, I have sets that I do to work on these
areas.  If your looking for general leg strength, you should use relatively
light weight and go for lots of reps (leg presses, for example, are done
with the weight you'll be carrying...150 pound man plus 35 pound pack=185
pound presses).  Don't go into a deep knee bend (you don't need that ability
hiking usually and it just stresses the knees).  And do LOTS of reps
(100-200).
A good trainer will understand these principles and design your program if
he/she knows anything about hiking.
Hope this helps.
Ellen