[pct-l] "buy-as-you-go" strategy and leaving with the pack

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Feb 6 15:34:00 CST 2009

Well, respectfully to all concerned, but your ideas of how it is down here
just don't meet up with the reality I've observed.

I can't tell you how many people pre-mailed their food here only to find out
by the time they got to mile 454.4 that they HATE their food.  It all goes
in the hiker box. Often nobody else wants it either, and we wind up with
nondescript bags of dry powders that ultimately go in the trash.  This
phenomenon has happened to me on my hikes, despite carefully planning,
testing, and pre-packaging.  No one knows for sure if they're going to like
the food they started out with, and your tastes can and do change. Many
people choose a resupply along the way strategy, which is an entirely
acceptable way to hike the trail if you don't have specific dietary needs.
It provides business and hopefully a positive attitude about hikers in local
towns.  Many of the most experienced hikers employ this strategy.

Being on a tight budget down here does NOT mean that someone won't finish
the trail.  It may mean that they're prudent and trying to make their
savings last.  In fact, it's excessive spending and NOT being mindful of
one's budget that has ended more hikes than being frugal and conservative
has.  Hikers that I later heard quit the trail had often blown their wad on
beer and liquor in town stops.  We shop at Food 4 Less, Trader Joes, or
Costco because it's stupid to waste money unnecessarily.  Why pay two or
three times as much?  Resupplying at our local store could literally cost
someone their budget for two additional resupplies.  Great if you have the
money to burn, but we like to offer an alternative for those who don't. As
it is, plenty gets spent at our local stores; so much so that there were two
signs put up by Budweiser -- one at the market and one at the liquor store.
They all appreciate the business.

For the record, it is NOT A BURDEN TO US to help hikers.  Please do not jump
to that conclusion.  If it were, we'd quit outright.  It's what we do and
what we want to do. What is a burden to us is having too many hikers arrive
all at once because they chose to ignore LNT principles and travel in large
numbers at peak time. There's a particular event that exacerbates this
problem. I've tried desperately to change this to no avail. I'm finished
trying.  However, as a direct consequence we will have to begin limiting the
number of hikers we'll serve at one time -- we've been running 60-65 hikers
at once (steadily increasing) during our peak the last few years, and that's
too much for us, for our water tank, and for our septic system.

As to the services we choose to provide or not provide to hikers, that's up
to us, thank you very much. We've been somewhat successful at it for 12
years, and are looking forward to our 13th season.  Hike your own hike and
host your own host.

L-Rod