[pct-l] Tarps,Tents & Knots

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Feb 15 00:02:53 CST 2009

----- Original Message -----

If I were hiking alone this year I would strongly consider the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape. It is a well thought out system. Though I would suspect that many might find it confining. Especially if you had to wait out a long storm system.

We all have to make our best guess based on the expected or historical weather patterns for the area in which we hike. Logic dictates you'll want to at least consider carrying a sturdier, roomier, (heavier) shelter if you're apt to be facing bad weather that might force you to hole up in your shelter for several days. Your individual outdoor skills and comfort needs will dictate your choice.

The one time it happened to me up at Harts Pass, I was VERY glad I had my 5 pound double walled North Face Tadpole instead of my tarptent. That was a fifty-year storm that forced even local hunters down out of the hills, and me with them.

Through-hikers on the PCT don't usually see extended wet weather until they get into central and northern WA. It's a different story for section hikers who can pretty much pick their weather.

Wandering Bob