[pct-l] Tarps, Tents & Knots

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 15 00:13:08 CST 2009

Sorry, sent post before I finished my thoughts.

For two people the SMD Duo provides "extravagant" space for 1# 5oz per person.

I would like to make a few suggestions to those who are new to using tarps and tarptents. 1. Silnylon relaxes after you pitch your shelter. To reduce the annoying flapping that a "loose" pitch can produce, re-tighten all guy lines 10 minutes after set up. Taking an extra minute to guarantee that you're shelter is snug will save many sleepless moments if the wind picks up.

2. When I began using tarps I quickly realized that I lacked any real knowledge of how to tie a useful knot. Luckily this was easily remedied. I picked up a used copy of "The Complete Book of Knots", grabbed some line, and taught myself a few useful knots in a short period of time. A boline, a few hitches, and a slide and grip loop - the Tarbuck knot, a sliding knot that seizes under pressure and releases when the pressure is relieved. Knowing a few extra knots gives me more flexablility with where and how I pitch a shelter, and I even find these new knots faster and easier than what I was using. ( I suggest using a thicker piece of line to practice with, the micro line often used for UL shelters can be difficult to remove knots from)

So while we're sittin' indoors counting the days until the long walk, I suggest putting our hands & time to something useful. Knowledge is light.

jason