[pct-l] Tarps

Engraving Pros mail at engravingpros.com
Sun Feb 15 09:43:53 CST 2009

> Equinox silnylon 8x10

I used this tarp in 2005. It was plenty of tarp for my needs but I suggest you
practice with it before you hit the trail. Using a traditional rectangle tarp has
it's drawbacks. To keep a firm ridge line I found I had to run a guy line the
entire length of the tarp on the inside. But this actually was great in rain
storms as it gave me a place to hang my close to dry. Also, I set it up with
the eight foot part being the length. That gave me plenty of tarp on each side
to go all the way to the ground with enough head room to sit up to cook and
do house keeping. The problem with a eight foot length is that if the wind
shifted directions rain could enter on either end. I solved this problem by
using my umbrella setup on one end as another wall. The little white ties
work great and lasted me the entire season. In fact I still have the tarp and
it is in like new condition. I suggest you seal at least the center seem.
  I have since switch to a homemade tarp. Cantenary cut ridge line keeps
the ridge line taught and breaks on both ends keeps the rain out. Also, a
custom shape gives me more room at a smaller and lighter size. Similar
to GoLites Shagri-La 1, But larger and lighter.

Robert