[pct-l] PCTA Membership

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Sun Feb 15 22:47:11 CST 2009

A small group of PCT Association members are working via committee to
continue extend our relationship into the hiking community.   We have a
dozen or so ideas that are underway to foster that relationship.   Most of
these initiatives are going to take time though, and I am not sure how much
we will get done before this 2009 season gets underway.   With that in mind,
I wanted to make a direct request via this list because I suspect most of
the 2009 hiking group is "on board" by now.

The PCTA needs membership.   Please join.   These are my thoughts on the
subject.

1.   We are very aware that many people give back to this trail in many ways
outside of membership with the PCT Association.   Many volunteer on trail
maintenance, create very usable web tools, host hikers, etc.    Those
efforts are even more important than membership and we applaud those
contributions.  If it is easier for you to spend some hours maintaining the
trail with a volunteer group PLEASE DO.  That is more valuable than
membership.

2.  The permit process alone saves thru hikers an unimaginable amount of
time and hassle.   The website recommends a $5 donation for the effort.
FIVE BUCKS HA!  Skip that hooey and try to consider what that permit process
is really worth to you.   How many hours did it save you?   This is a great
time to show the support of the permit process by simply joining the PCTA at
the same time you are requesting the permits.   If you already did your
permit process. it's okay - you can still go back and join.

3. The number of members by itself can have a tremendous influence on
lobbying efforts.    When the PCTA "goes to Washington", there is power in
stating the number of people the PCTA represents.  Membership brings value
beyond the annual fee.

4. The creation, maintenance, land management, protection, etc. etc. etc.
are all significant efforts.   These efforts of course take people, but it
also takes money - and a lot of money.   We don't like that reality any more
than the next person, but it is just a fact we have to work with.  This
national treasure of a trail is far from the top priority of the political
process and it takes tremendous effort to keep it safe and in good health.
Your membership money and any other contributions mean so much to us.

5. If you join you will get updates during the year that keep you in touch
with the trail, the trail community, and the efforts to continue to protect
it.

6.  If the $35 is tough to cough up all at once, there is a way you can give
a recurring monthly amount as low as $5.  That is one fast-food stop, or two
gallons of gas, or a Venti mocha extra hot with whip.

7.  If you are planning to hike the whole trail or a large section in 2009,
it is possible that next year and years later you may have moved on with
your life and the PCT is not as much "on your mind".   The thru hiker, or
any long distance section hiker, will get more use, beauty, support, and
memories and use more of the bridges, outposts, and tree cleared trail miles
from one season on the trail than most casual hikers will get in their
lives.   I would encourage the long distance hikers to consider making a
mental commitment to try to support the PCTA for at least a couple years
past their thru hiking year.   That is just a simple personal request from
me to you.   If you can, I would be grateful.  If you can't, you get all my
love anyway.

http://pcta.org/help/join/application.asp

Thanks folks,

Pink Gumby