[pct-l] Dogs on the trail

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Tue Feb 17 11:00:57 CST 2009

Hi Andy,

Don't worry about bringing your pooch with you on your hike. I'm sure she
will be welcomed with open arms.

When I thru hiked in 2007 there was another thru hiker Nadine who hiked with
her dog Patcha (not sure how to spell that) and Patcha was the most popular
hiker on the trail! All the hikers loved her and couldn't wait to see her
and play with her.

The problem with internet discussion places like this one and others is that
it does not give an accurate cross-section of the hiking community (or any
community). There are many hikers who have never even heard of the PCT-L who
have very different opinions about things than you will read here. They just
don't want to sit around all day typing about them.

The other problem with the internet is that people tend to act a lot more
opinionated and grumpy about things than they really are. A person may be
really tolerant and easy to get along with in real life, but they might be a
real jerk on the internet. I think it's just because when you are trapped
behind a computer all day, life starts to irk you're a little more than when
you are out enjoying the freedom of the wilderness. I know that's certainly
true with myself.

Here are three internet "myths" about PCT thru hikers:

*  They are all ultra-light gear heads. Not true. I would say that the vast
majority of PCT thru hikers I met were not ultra light. Most had a base pack
weight of 14lbs or more.

* They are against dogs, horses and mountain bikers. Not true. Most of the
hikers I know couldn't care less about these and are perfectly willing to
share the trail with anyone else who wants to use it.

* They are hardcore environmentalists who have strong opinions about poop
disposal, "leave no trace ethics", building fires, etc. Also not true. Most
of the hikers I know practice a much more laid back "hike your own hike"
approach. They do what they do, and don't waste any time obsessing over what
others do.

So please, take everything you read here with a grain of salt. I think you
will find that once you get out on the trail everyone is much more tolerant
than you may expect. Even people with strong opinions tend to keep them to
themselves. The wilderness has a great pacifying affect. It has the ability
to strip the most vitriolic crusader of his ideals.

Happy Trails!
Erik The Black
www.eriktheblack.com

Message: 2