[pct-l] Dogs on the trail (and thru-dogs)

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 12:47:22 CST 2009

Andy  (and all)

Patcha in 2007 was a good dog.  So was Buddy in 2005 and Hank in 2008.  None
felt the need to "Protect" or be the least bit aggressive toward approaching
hikers.  These dogs were thru-hikers just like the rest of us.  They were
very loved and part of the hiking community.  I have never met an aggressive
thru-hiker dog.

All the dog owners of the dog problems I have had have been non thru-hikers,
day hikers and non hikers.  There is a much, much higher percentage of
problem dogs and problem dog owners than there are problem people on the
trail.  Our fears and our experiences might be bring out responses in these
postings from when we were threatened or abused by irresponsible dog/owner
situations.

A few of mine include:

I was cornered by seven aggressive dogs just out for a walk.  Owner let them
run ahead.

I was pinned on top of a bee's nest until the owner arrived.  I was stung
eleven times by the time I got all of them out of my clothes.

I was, a couple times, face to face, with very threatening large dobermans
and no owner present.

With the owner present, I just passed by his growling dog.  The dog jumped
up and bit me on my elbow.

Two days before I was attacked by three large dogs and had to beat them off
with my trekking poles, then return to fend them off again so my hiking
partner could get through.

In all cases nothing was done to keep this from happening to the next hiker
to come through.

Every time I hear a dog bark on the trail I get a bad feeling.  I never know
what's coming next.

This is only a small part of my story.

Over and over, that threatening growling dog who has run ahead of the owner
and the echoing words "He's never done that before."
I just want it to stop, but it's not going to.

Warner Springs Monty

Lightweight Backpacking
The fun goes up when the weight goes down
-Warner Springs Monty