[pct-l] Trekking poles

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Tue Feb 17 21:02:02 CST 2009

I had a dog encounter leaving Sierra City. The dog charged me, hair up
and teeth bared. I had been walking on the asphalt with my poles
clicking. The owner showed up as I was yelling at the top of my lungs
(at 5:30 a.m.!) and called the dog back (I was a good dog, I was told)
and suggested my "sticks" bothered the dog. I thought I was about to
find out just how well my "sticks" would defend against a dog that
appeared very unhappy with me.

I did learn on a recent hike with MY dog that my dog reacts differently
to MY poles. She is rather protective and also insecure, so she often
would bark and lunge towards someone passing (and I can usually tell who
she'll bark at). I found if I place my trekking pole between her and the
other party, she stays at the side and ignores them. Very cool. (No, she
does not hike long trails with me, just some short in-town routes.)

AsABat