[pct-l] Snow Prep Course Concern

Mark Liechty mlaccs at mlaccs.com
Wed Feb 18 13:11:08 CST 2009

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com wrote:
> You say you're not prepared for a snow travel and camping course because of equipment issues and your plan will be to try to avoid snow wherever possible. This plan is always the first rule, avoidance, but not always possible as many will attest who have traveled the Sierra. This is one reason why the Snow Course is offered and why you were originally interested in it, to be prepared to skillfully travel over snow with greater confidence and safety when you can't avoid it.
> ##################

I am probably the least qualified person on this list to reply but here
are my thoughts.

I don't think I will be doing the entire PCT for several years.  However
I do plan on increasing my backpacking in the sierras to several hundred
miles a year over the next few and this looks like an essential tool to
have in my arsenal.

A large part of what makes this course so appealing is that, according
to the map, I will never be more than 5 or so miles from my car.     If
things get really bad I can get out.  It will cost me much pride and
probably have me thrown from the list so it is a very very last resort
but it is a safety net that will not be available once I get 20-50 miles
from the car and a nice spring day goes bad in an hour or two.

We can read all we want to about what to do and what not to do and how
to dress and what to be ready for and how to eat and all that other
stuff but the only way it really sinks in for me is to get out and do it.

Just something to think about if you or anyone else is still on the
fence.

Oh yeah, the piece of gear I am missing is the ice axe.  Will need 2
(one for my son, one for me)   Still looking for one if any have a great
deal but am not certain if it will be a one time use or will end up in
the garage with all the other stuff.  Since I don't know what I don't
know I need to trust Ned that this is an essential tool and besides, it
sounds like the fun part of the course so why not?