[pct-l] Trail Running Shoes

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 20 18:34:29 CST 2009

On Feb 20, 2009, at 2:57 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> For those hikers who have used trail running shoes, for how much of
> the
> hike are they feasible (with respect to snow/slush and days of
> unrelenting rain)?

They are feasible for the entire trail.

> BACKGROUND: I am highly susceptible to back-of-heal blisters and have
> found trail running shoes to be my fair weather hiking salvation.

The weather on the trail will be fair almost all the time. You should
wear shoes that do not cause you physical harm and that includes
shoes that do not force your feet and body to walk in unnatural ways,
which is what overly stiff, overly protective shoes can do.

Personally, I could not fathom hiking in rock-hard, frozen solid,
wet, leather boots. What could be worse? If your trail runners get
wet you leave them in the sun for a few hours and they're dry.

Enjoy your trail runners.