[pct-l] Foot issues - prominent navicular/PTTD

Andy safetypci at aim.com
Sat Feb 21 00:36:10 CST 2009

After surviving 35 mile days in the Great Divide Basin on the CDT in 2007, I entered the Winds. And coming off Texas?Pass, it started; a soreness?right under my ankle bone on the inside of my foot (Posterior Tibial Tendon Disfunction [can you say that five times in a row really fast?]). After hiking like this for another 1300 miles (not a?problem until I hit the 15 mile mark each day), I?made it to Canada. Now my Navicular bone sticks out (prominent navicular/PTTD), and epic multi-day ski tours give me some issues if I'm wearing low top leather tele boots. Researching?the issue online from a long distance hiking perspective?hasn't yielded much.

I was wondering, who else has had this issue develop during a thruhike? I don't want to find myself using my trekking poles as crutches after Campo (If I do come off the trail, I guess I'll be paddling the Inside Passage from Olympia to Skagway). I reluctantly plunked down $500 for orthotics last September, and haven't been able to do any 20 mile days this past winter. I've been seeing a friend who's a chiropractor since October once a week, and should see the podiatrist once the snow melts out I and I start playing in the dirt again.

Off to ski to the top of another 14er!

-Sky
http://andylinger.com
PCT '09