[pct-l] Trail Running Shoes so great?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Feb 21 09:11:56 CST 2009

On Feb 20, 2009, at 9:27 PM, <ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com> wrote:

> Fantastic, Diane! You hit the nail on the head.
>
> I don't know if its the shoes that contribute to the low success
> rate or any of a number of issues, some of which you've mentioned,
> but to help hikers have a great, safe, healthy, and terrifically
> rewarding experience out on the long trails, I'm questioning the
> accepted norm. Are the current trends in training, food, gear,
> schedules, pace, etc. really allowing hikers a better time in the
> wilderness?
>
> I had an incredible time on the trail and want more people to have
> the kind of experience you speak of, where you're prepared
> physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually for all the
> trail has to offer. Some find what they're looking for in
> themselves, in others, or in the spiritual and some are out there
> for altogether other reasons. If you wanted to help hikers get past
> the first few weeks or month and the calls of home, what would be
> your advise?
>
> Mtnned

When I was at Warner Springs I overheard a guy leaving the trail
talking to his family. His complaint was that the hiking was hard and
it wasn't doing anything to help him find himself.

I also met a woman there with bruised heels who had to use a wheel
chair. Probably the same woman someone else mentioned.

For the first situation I would suggest knowing why you are doing
this. For the second situation I would suggest actually hiking with a
loaded backpack on and the kind of shoes you are going to wear to see
if they will cause you problems.

I hiked 1500 miles last year, all in trail runners. The first 200
miles I wore waterproof leather shoes. How smelly, wet and
uncomfortable! I ditched those for some mesh water shoes 4 (!) sizes
too big. Heaven for 600 miles. In Bishop I bought some more mesh
trail runners. They dried in an hour in the sun, but they felt
strange. So I bought another pair after another hundred miles or so,
making a special trip to Mammoth. These shoes were many people's
supposed favorite Montrail Hardrocks. My feet disintegrated over the
remaining distance because they formed my feet into this toe-up,
pointed, stiff, unmoveable shape much like my old Pivetas used to do.
I could not walk normally all throughout my leg. I left the trail in
severe pain but only 200 miles from my goal of Ashland (I wasn't
planning to go to Canada), and most of that remaining distance was
closed due to wildfire anyway.

Trail runners are not the "answer". Gear is not the "answer". It's
only one link in the chain, an important one, but only one. It's not
a totem against failure.

I went home twice on the trail. Once in the Sierra because I didn't
like the high passes and I was lonely for home. And at the end I was
lonely again for home and had a good excuse: my feet hurt.