[pct-l] What is a Thru-Hike?

Suzannah Swinehart suz_quz at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 01:16:01 CST 2009

My dad and I did our very first section not so long ago in August 2007. I would say we were proficient backpackers, but had NO clue about long-distance hiking or PCT culture. We got dropped off at Grouse Gap and headed north.

We were immediately passed by many hikers and they each asked us if we were thrus or sectioners. Not knowing what this meant, we exchanged furtive glances and guessed at an answer. "Thrus?" (And then in between being passed, we'd discuss this at length. "Because we're not coming back to this spot, right? We're hiking straight thru to where we left the car 60 miles ahead?") And then to the hikers, "We're not really sure." We got the most incredulous looks...admiration and awe - "Wow, you're really just taking it one step at a time...that takes guts!"

To any of the class of 2007 who passed us around Ashland...we weren't really that brave. We were *really* clueless, though :)

Anyway...on to other things; my feeling about the "Thru/Section" argument - Why is there even an argument? I agree that this is a perfect example of HYOH!

As a first-grade teacher it would be really hard for me...bordering on impossible...to convince a principal to let me take off the end of one school year *and* the beginning of another. So my plan is to section hike OR and WA and then do my "Thru-hike of California". And that is what I will call it. I will be hiking border to border. I will try my best to get through all kazillion miles of that state. It's almost as long as the AT, for cryin' out loud! Whoever feels the need to knock it and say that's "just" a section hike, that's their issue.

-Chipmunk