[pct-l] What is a "Thru Hike?"

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 23 17:19:18 CST 2009

Good afternoon, Monte,

I also like some of the sections of the old Oregon Skyline Trail (OST) which
substantially became the PCT through most of Oregon.  I hiked the Mt.
Jefferson Primitive Area quite a bit in the mid-'60s, and I particularly
enjoyed the OST section beginning north of Three-Fingered-Jack, past Marion
Lake, Hunts Cove, and on to Milk Creek north of Pamelia Lake.

At that time before the backpacking craze of the early '70s hit, I could
hike all weekend in that area and probably never see another person except
right at Marion and Pamelia Lakes.  Later I sort of gave up on the area
because there seemed to be so many people that I had to carry my own rock to
sit on for a break.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the PCT since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye