[pct-l] Contemporary Thru Hiking

jape1 at cox.net jape1 at cox.net
Tue Feb 24 12:56:16 CST 2009

David said:
"... While the hike was extremely rewarding ( - obviously because I'm heading out again), I suspect most thru hikers don't get the answers to the big questions answered on the trail.  Or maybe its just me.  Anyone else want to chime in here?"

I was reading an article from the NYT, about a big-wall climber known as Chongo.  (you can read the article here:  http://tinyurl.com/colelx  )
The following quote stuck in my mind.  It is possible that it has relevance to long distance hiking as well.

“You go spend all this money to do something that basically only improves the world by improving your outlook on it,” he would say, “and if you don’t take it and do something with it, it’s narcissistic".

eckert
a oft-convicted narcissist