[pct-l] Camp Shoes and Such

Bruce Harvey bharve at dslextreme.com
Sat Feb 28 23:33:19 CST 2009

Jason,

You wrote

>> I can envision other times that the crocs would be useful such as
>> on zeros, desert breaks when I'm airing my shoes, bathing, public
>> showers... I'm not above asking advice. I'm just not used to
>> asking strangers.

Leave 'em home.  Only use you mention that you might regard worth
carrying the weight would be in public showers.  That would only be
to reduce probability of picking up athlete's foot , and still
wouldn't guarantee such.  Useful on zeroes?  Maybe, if you take lots
of 'em.  Comfortable running or trail running shoes work for zeroes.
Useful for airing feet and shoes in the desert?  If you can find
space to park your butt on shaded (not hot) ground, you can find
enough for feet.  If needed,move a rock and put heels on cool ground,
and later replace rock where it was.  Or scrape small amount of sand
down ~2" to where it's cool, and later cover the divot.  At worst,
park bare heels in heel cups of otherwise empty shoes.  Removing wet
shoes and socks in camp?  Yeah, just before you inset self into bag
or under quilt.  For most hikers, doing the whole PCT in a season
will make camping mostlty (though not entirely) a perfunctory
business, especially if they take many zeroes.

Only places I would have liked to have Crocs or flops was at a few
lakes in Oregon.  Lots of snags and deadfall at many shores, and
muddy bottoms obscuring more of same.  Made stepping in dicey.

FWIW, if you get debris in shoes and it bothers you, light gaiters
are a must-have.  Never needed them with boots, but found I did with
low cut shoes.  Two are:
http://www.joetrailman.com/
http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/
Either attach with lace hook in front, velcro at back, with hook side
glued to shoe.  PCT thru hike will wear out two pairs.  I buy all
replacement shoes before beginning hike, and glue on the hook tabs at
home.  If you buy shoes along the way (either in 'towns' or by remote
order shipped to resupply spots) and if you also use a bounce bucket,
keeping glue tube and velcro strip in bucket would provide for
attaching glued tabs to each new pair of shoes as you get them.
Since the Dirty Girl gaiters use self-adhesive velcro loop tabs, no
bounce bucket would be needed.  Not sure I'd trust self-adhesive.
Glue-on tabs have been good for me, never had even a corner lift.

 From an admittedly strange stranger.  All caveats apply.
geezer '07