[pct-l] Training for a thru hike

Thomas Jamrog balrog at midcoast.com
Fri Jan 2 11:41:03 CST 2009

??Can anyone offer some REAL words of wisdom for how to train for a
thru hike?

As my MEGATEX friend Lifetraveler so aptly put it, " Thru hiking is
easy.  You put one foot in front of the other.  It all all about foot
placement and balance control. "

However, there is also some excellent advice in the May 2008
Backpacker magazine on preparing to backpack, on pages 87 and 88.  I
found the url here:  http://www.backpacker.com/skills/12398?page=4.
      The usual advice falls short, because what you experience out
there is not the straight line world, its a universe of ups and down,
twists and turns.  Things like strength machines, treadmills, and
exercise bicycles operate in only one plane.  Machines are not bad,
but you need to train for the real world of irregular terrain, for
example like stretching to get up a ledge, or jumping down off a place
to a lower spot.  It happens.  You don't want to neglect the
opportunity to really help yourself improve balance and agility at
home, before you hit the trail.   Include hopping, with bench hops and
scissor jacks. Most people think it will be weird to do these in
public, like a gym, but you can figure it out.   While I agree that
the best exercise that improves your fitness for backpacking is to
backpack, these unique exercises really help.

Uncle Tom
=========
Blogging about the Great Outdoors
on http://tjamrog.wordpress.com ( hotlink)