[pct-l] Grid, Graph, Spreadsheet in Preparation and During Hike

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jan 6 09:43:23 CST 2009

I'm not a huge planner, but I did the best I could because I thought
it was required. (Thank god you don't really have to.)

One thing I don't see being useful is trying to plan which water
sources to visit. In So Cal you can pretty much plan to visit ALL the
water sources or at least know where they all are. In fact, you'll
probably find your daily mileage depends on where the water sources
are. And not just where the next one is, but where the one after that
is in case the next one is dry.

If you like planning, you'll have a great time planning this hike in
detail in advance. But if you are like me and do not like planning,
don't freak out too much. I worried so much that my lack of planning
skills would end my hike before it began. I found it worked just like
regular life. I shopped when the food ran low, bought shoes when they
wore out, went to bed when evening came. Wildfire changed a lot of
plans last year, too.