[pct-l] Horse rentals

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 13:14:36 CST 2009

I ride horses.  In the last year I have purchased, leased, or borrowed 6
different horses for different purposes.

I don¹t know of any ³Hertz² per horses, but I do know that you can find a
horse to do almost anything you want to do.  For riding the whole trail I
advise you to buy a horse (or two). They aren¹t very expensive these days
(you can get a good horse for free or a nominal cost by relieving owners of
the expense to feed them).   In fact, the price of the horse is very small
compared to the price of food, transportation, and tack.  That is, the horse
is basically free ‹ the money goes elsewhere.  You will have to figure out
what you will do with the horse when you are finished with it ‹ it will be
more difficult (but not impossible) to find an owner willing to take the
horse back when you are done.  There are no rules ‹ people make whatever
deals they can.

Just look on the Internet and make some calls.  I live in San Diego, and
there are hundreds of horses nearby that are suitable for riding on the
trail.   I hope you have a trailer, truck to pull it, and someone to drive
it around to support you.  I¹m hoping to ride the trail someday, and that is
where you need real money!

Tom Bache
San Diego