[pct-l] cold weather gear

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 12 09:59:32 CST 2009

On Jan 12, 2009, at 6:13 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I've never needed my
> synthetic insulating layers while hiking, though I get cold quickly
> when i
> stop.

My experience is similar. I get cold easily, too. I never wore down
(Patagonia down sweater) while hiking and only occasionally wore my
Marmot-driclime (the one with the soft lining). Once in a while I
wore gloves while hiking in the morning. The added layers came off
pretty quickly. Even down to the 40s I was comfortable hiking with
just my tank top and button-up nylon shirt.

Since I hiked much more distance than on normal backpack trips (12
hours each day) there was no sitting around in camp getting cold. The
only night I really struggled to stay warm I had stopped hiking at 3
and sat around long enough to get cold. Any night when I was cold in
my bag, I put on my down jacket and fell back to sleep.

At Kennedy Meadows all my buddies received puffy down jackets in
their mail drops and I was jealous and nervous I would freeze in the
Sierra. I need not have worried. By choosing warmer sites (not near
streams or lakes) I was toasty warm all the time.

And for people fearing heat, I found that it was a lot like cold. I
acclimated to that as well. I hiked with my long-sleeved shirt no
matter what the temperature and felt comfortable. In fact, I was
asked by some day hiker in 103 degree heat why I wasn't too hot in my
long-sleeved shirt (typical nylon button-up shirt) and the reasons
were many:
- I'd soak it in water at every stream crossing
- My sweat would form in the elbows so every time I stretched my arm
out the cool sweat felt good
- I didn't button the wrists so air flowed well
- It protected me from the searing rays of the sun
- I swear it kept me at my body temperature despite the 103 outside.