[pct-l] Durability of Rainwear

Rod Miller rod at rodmiller.com
Mon Jan 12 19:17:47 CST 2009

I have a Marmot Precip rain jacket that is about
three years old.

There was a lot of rain during my last hike in SW
Australia. I noticed that the sleeves no longer
shedded water, but became soaked. While they dried
out quickly when it wasn't raining, I became concerned
that the body of the jacket would eventually stop
shedding H2O too.

My questions are: does rainwear fabric (perhaps just
the Precip) "wear out" even though it is structurally
intact (no rips and tears, etc.), and is the soaking a
sign that the jacket needs to be replaced?

Thanks

Rod