[pct-l] Shelter for the rain

GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 11:08:10 CST 2009

I'm skeptical about claims by some their UL shelters "don't work well in
Pacific NW rain."
Materials either work or they don't. Same with designs. We're not talking
about WPB jackets where your energy level is a huge factor, as you
contribute heat inside your jacket.  Or whether you stay dry because you're
in your tent vs. how jackets work if you actually hike on in sustained
rain.

We're talking about waterPROOF shelters, right? Single walls or tarps
certainly need to breathe and airflow is certainly an issue here effecting
condensation. But location has little to do with it. Temp, humidity, and
airflow are the factors.

Perhaps what they really mean is they've been lucky and not tested/used
their shelters much in repeated multiple rainy days. Maybe that's just
semantics.

When they were suggesting "didn't work well", did they mean increased
condensation? That would make more sense. Maybe I misunderstood your comment
about their characterization.

[no offense intended, more to clarify and understand the discussion ahead]

FedEx