[pct-l] Bear spray

Marion mardav at charter.net
Tue Jan 20 18:55:36 CST 2009

Since you've asked, here's my opinion.
I have never done an overnight hike in grizzly country.  I have never
used or even touched a can of bear spray. Black bears in general are not
dangerous animals if you follow basic principles.  They are
opportunistic, persistent, intelligent, patient, and creatures of habit.

I have heard about a few incidents in which people were injured by black
bears on or near the PCT.
Some true incidents, as near as I recall:
Location:  Tahquitz Scout Camp near Jenks Lake (Barton Flats, So Cal.
This camp has no central dining hall.  All troops cook all their meals
in their campsites, all summer long.  So they have lots of bear
activity.)  Scouts are sleeping cowboy style on tarps and under open
tarps.  Some have gone to bed dirty, wearing clothes they cooked/ate in.
  Two sleeping scouts get their heads scratched by a bear who is walking
thru camp in the dark looking for food. Both scouts are back at camp the
next day showing off their stitches and bandages.  The bear was tracked
and killed.

Near Center Basin crossing, JMT
A bear gets food down from a tree hang.  The hiker tries to get the food
back.  The bear takes a swipe at the hiker and the hiker is injured.

Also near Center Basin crossing, JMT
A hiker is sleeping with his food.  The bear crashes the tent and the
hiker is injured.  The bear is tracked and killed.

At Tuolumne Meadows Hiker camp
A hiker gets sick during the night and vomits in his tent.  A bear grabs
the tent and drags tent and hiker some distance before being scared off
by onlookers.

Notice some commonalities to these stories.
Dirty hikers.  Food odors.  Food in a tree.  Food in a tent.  Trying to
get food back once a bear has it.
All of these are practices to avoid.

Instead do the opposite.
Food in a can, away from your tent.  Cook far away from the place you
sleep.  Go to bed in clean clothes, with clean body, to minimize food
smells in your tent/tarp area.  If a bear does get your food, let him
have it.  If you follow sensible precautions you should never need bear
spray.
Since I hike with llamas and a few llamas have been killed and eaten by
black bears near the PCT, I carry a wrist rocket slingshot and practice
with it.

I am sure this message will stimulate additional stories, corrections or
additions to my stories.  Let's roll!