[pct-l] Mendorider's note

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Fri Jan 23 11:31:03 CST 2009

This is a great note packed with interesting observations!  Gems like this
keep me scanning the pct-l note packets that come to my computer several
times a day.

BTW.  Ed is being very modest with his "we did a lot of endurance riding."
If you look up his record on the AERC website, you will see that he is one
of the best endurance racers in the west.  He has won 30 races at distances
between 50 and 100 miles.  As an older guy taking up backpacking and
endurance racing, I'm especially inspired by the fact that he won a 100 mile
race at age 70 and did his PCT trek last summer at age 72. In case you are
wondering, this is a sport anyone can do, but the top ranks are dominated by
youngish women (low body weight is a major advantage).

Ed, maybe I shouldn't be revealing your age since they won't guess anything
close to it when they meet you.  Or maybe they will if they remember your
anecdote about your solo trek from Whitney Portal to Mineral King in 1958!!

This note is not exactly on topic for PCT-L, but we should all remember that
the PCT was created for hikers AND equestrians.  I do both, and I enjoy
meeting horses when I'm hiking.

Tom Bache
San Diego