[pct-l] DriClime windshirt alone... warm enough for most of the trail?

Julian Plamann julian at amity.be
Fri Jan 23 14:21:45 CST 2009

I tend to be pretty warm-blooded in my regular off-trail life. Walking
around town, I'm often the weirdo comfortably wearing a t-shirt when
everyone around me is wearing a light sweater.
That said, my current cold-weather gear for the PCT this year consists of my
beloved Marmot DriClime windshirt and a long-sleeved, lightweight polyester
hiking shirt. For some added warmth, I've been contemplating the Montbell
U.L. down inner vest. I don't mind the extra weight one bit, but frankly,
$100 is a lot to spend if it's something I'll never use.

For the evening, I have a 20 degree down bag, so I'm not worried about being
cold while sleeping... this is just more of a camp comfort thing. Any
previous thru-hikers or section hikers care to chime in on whether or not
the DriClime will be enough? I seem to be comfortable in the DriClime alone
down to about 30 degrees with no wind chill. How cold will it likely get
during the coldest of days?

Thanks and happy trails!
Julian