[pct-l] pct books

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:20:39 CST 2009

 Mikey Jurado wrote:
"It seems like Yogi's book is very popular in the forum.  Any thru-hikers
recommend certain books for training and preparation of the PCT as well as
the actual thru-hike trek?  Jardine's books also seems very good.  Gracias!"

Training and prep --- again, there will be a variety of thinking on this
topic, though note that Yogi's book (actually book pair) helps here too.
I think that if a person is in general good health, then just getting out
and walking a lot is sufficient, coupled with some prior backpacking
experience.  But people start a thru-hike with no prep and no prior
backpacking experience and succeed, so ... I'm not a big fan of any
particular pre-trip training regimen.   I think you will be happier if
you're not learning everything from scratch, so I do suggest some pre-trip
experience, at least some sort of shake-down hike.   You can find and read
stuff like this and maybe get something out of it:
http://www.campinglife.com/output.cfm?id=1071865
<http://www.campinglife.com/output.cfm?id=1071865%20>

For the actual trip, this has been discussed many times, and a list of
options is in the FAQ: http://postholer.com/faq.php#Maps
I carried the PCT Atlas first version for SoCal, and it's good.  Like many,
I cut up and carried the Wilderness Press guide book pages for the whole
trip; it is indeed a lot of words, sometimes I'd read them the night before
and sometimes not.  To be clear, I'm talking more here about what you carry
with you on the trip.  For preparation, you just need to know the basics to
plan resupply (insofar as you decide to plan this in advance) and to get the
right gear mix.

Do a domain search on prior discussions in this list for a lot more on these
topics.
To be specific about that (domain search), go to
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en and in the bottom text box where
it says "search within a site or domain" put in
Then in the top text box put in your words to search for, for example,
something like "pct atlas wilderness press"

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle