[pct-l] Poison Oak Immunization

George Wysup georwy at charter.net
Tue Jan 27 15:01:07 CST 2009

> - - - and poison oak leaves. Start with a very small leaf. Using the tweezers, carefully pluck it from the branch and looking in the mirror, carefully place it in the middle of your tongue. Immediately swallow it with two glasses of water. Whatever you do don't chew it or allow it to mix with your saliva. You could get P.O. blisters on your lips. I had a little of this the first time. Now wait three days and see if you have any reaction. If not,( I did'nt ) then do it with a larger leaf and wait three days again. If still no reaction continue this until you have swallowed five leaves. By then you will, most likely be immune to P.O.<

    Is anyone actually going to try this? When I was growing up in So Cal, around 1949, some MDs actually made money trying to immunize PO sufferers using a technique similar to the above (only more controlled). They don't do this any more. Guess why not. IT DOESN'T WORK! Most folks understand that repeated exposure to an allergen actually increases the sensitivity. Think about it. Have you ever heard of bee sting immunization? Peanut butter immunization? Hives? Psoriasis? Celiac disease? I suspect you have not - and for good reason. Your body's immune system does not build antibodies for PO allergen.
    It may not be harmful to try this. Id guess that the digestive fluids actually digest the rhus oil before it can cause a reaction. [Maybe what you need on the PCT is a gallon of stomach acid.] If this trick seems to work, it's likely because the "experimenter" has, by now, learned to recognize and avoid the PO. Better you try using Skunk brush as a placebo instead of the real thing.
    Maybe accupuncture or chiropractic will do the job.
    Yep; the dead-looking branches can be as deadly as the leaves, and they are harder to ID as poison oak. Helpful hint for the guys: after possible contact with PO, clean your hands before peeing. I learned this the hard way.
George