[pct-l] maps

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Wed Mar 4 11:54:18 CST 2009

I  believe that the guidebook maps and the trail signage is adequate in
almost all cases for navigating the  trail. However, I almost always  bring
wider scope topo maps with me. I do this for two reasons:
1. I like to see a broader area and understand where I am and what I am
seeing in the distance. It also increases my confidence about the ability to
leave the trail in a sensible way in the case of emergency. (That need has
not happened to me.) They are also useful in the case of bypasses or
temporary trail shifts.
2. I find that the use of color on most other maps makes them easier to read
and provides other info, e.g. treeline location.

I used to use USGS topo maps. I currently print custom tailored maps from
TOPO! There are other sources online but I have not used them.

Pieces