[pct-l] maps

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Wed Mar 4 12:29:34 CST 2009

Emily,

If all you want from a map is to know where the trail goes, then, I suppose,
the guidebook maps are all you need. That's what it is, to guide you along
the trail. If you want to know more about the country you're walking
through, then you might need to bring other maps, too. It depends on what
you want to get from your maps, the description of a tunnel or an entire
landscape for miles....

I am always curious about what is around me, the peak over there, where this
creek comes from, where that trail leads, how to get out in case of
emergency, whether this ridge is a glacial moraine or volcanic. By studying
maps in detail, a lot can be learned about the environment you get to walk
in. I carry full-sized USGS topo maps, USFS maps, the guide book, and
various natural history publications of the area I'm going through. I'm
probably only going to be there once, so I want to know and experience all I
can about it. In my mind the weight is not an issue compared to what I'll
miss without them and the volume isn't either, I'll just carry a bigger
pack!