[pct-l] The Economy and Hiking

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Sun Mar 8 20:06:10 CDT 2009

My suspicion is that the economy will affect the hiking in the following
ways.

1.  Many people do not take extended hikes because it disrupts their
employment.  So far, 8.1% more people may be hiking at least a section.

2.  The kick-off may have fewer people that travel to the event just for the
event.  Those that incur significant expense to get there, but do not plan
to hike, may opt not to pay the travel expenses this year.

3.  We may see more hikers in town stealth camping, sharing rooms, or other
methods of cutting those expenses.  This is generally due to "feeling" like
you ought not spend the money.  Generally speaking, the hikers will not
actually have less money, but not knowing if they will have a job to return
to and a general "buckling up" will cause less to be spent.

4.  I suspect we will see less REI type spending from thru hikers.   For the
same reasons as stated in #3, people are going to be more likely to work
with their existing equipment rather than getting that super cool new
version.   Of course, most REI and the like shopping has nothing to do with
true hikers and their reduced numbers will be more based on general
shopping.  (e.g. I have seen far more North Face jackets at the local high
school football game than I have on the trail).

Just my thoughts.  I reserve the right to be wrong and I exercise that right
regularly.

Pink Gumby