[pct-l] Mammoth Snow Report

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Mar 11 06:37:53 CDT 2009

Hi gang,
 From 1968 to 2008 the average snowfall for Mammoth Mt. has been 339
inches per season.
So far this season, up to March 5, Mammoth has had 420 inches of
snowfall and will most likely reach 500 inches by the end of this season
or by the time the Thrus reach the Sierra.
The current base at Mammoth Mt.is 12-16 feet.
It seems my earlier predictions, over the last 2 month, of a above
average snow season  for Mammoth Mt. this season have materialized.
Now, that does not mean that the rest of the Sierra will have above
average snowfall, it only means that Mammoth Mt. has above average snowfall.
The rest of the Sierra is very close to average at this time, but this
could change before the end of the season.
Mammoth Mountain is a special breed of a cat and consistently gets more
snow.
It seems the mountain ranges deflect the prevailing winds over Mammoth
resulting in more precipitation on Mammoth.
Dave McCoy realized that when he worked for the Los Angeles Department
of Water as a hydrographer measuring snow pack in the 1940's and 1950's,
sometimes skiing 50 miles a day.
That is why he spend almost his entire adult life building one of the
great ski resorts on Mammoth Mountain instead of on June
Mountain and that is why I spend more time skiing on Mammoth Mountain
than skiing anywhere else.

Like Dave McCoy said  ''There is no way you can understand my life
unless you see where I spend it. When it's clear and calm on the
mountain, there is no more beautiful place in the world.''

I realized that in 1968 or 1969 when I first climbed  Mt. Whitney and
started roaming the Sierra, hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter.
In the summer there is no place I'd rather be than hiking the JMT and in
the winter there is no place I'd rather be than skiing
the Sierra at Mammoth Mountain, looking down on the JMT & PCT.

JMT Reinhold
Your hopelessly in love with the JMT trail companion