[pct-l] try before buy - UL backpacks

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Tue Mar 17 23:12:08 CDT 2009

I understand why a vendor would loan out a pack for a trial hike before
sale for if the pack comes back, it is *used* merchandise which would
have to be sold far below new price.

When I started backpacking, I was able to borrow a pack from a friend
for a weekend to see if I liked backpacking. Even so, this was back in
the days of rugged exterior frame packs which can handle more abuse than
most UL packs.  Also since the pack I borrowed was already well used,
there was no decline in value from my weekend use.

Now if there is someone who could rent out various UL packs -----.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>