[pct-l] try before buy - UL backpacks

Ron Moak ronmoak at sixmoondesigns.com
Mon Mar 16 16:55:08 CDT 2009

Robert,

I can fully appreciate your apprehension about buying an UL pack only to
discover after a few hours or days that it fails to meet your needs.

I don't know the number of times I've seen people in the early stages of the
PCT hike struggling with uncomfortable packs. While the pack was certainly
not suitable to the individuals needs, the fault was not with the design or
construction of the pack.

Those of us who produce these packs always recommend that your pack be the
absolute last gear purchase made. It must be made with respect to all of the
gear carried. It's not enough to simply reduce the weight of your pack, tent
and sleeping bag with little concern for the rest of the gear carried.
Attempting to lug 30 to 40 pounds of gear in a pack tailored for 20 pounds
will generally lead to a miserable experience.

Note: it's far easier to carry UL gear in a traditional pack than
traditional gear in a UL pack.

However, if you can get your base weight down to 10 pounds and max weight
under 25, there are a world of pack options available. At those weights,
even if the pack isn't perfect, it won't debilitate you.

You should also note that even a few hours of sweaty hiking along the PCT
can easily turn packs into toxic biohazards. If I was to get a pack returned
like this, there is little I can do but trash it.

Hope this helps.

Ron