[pct-l] Everything I need?

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Mar 20 14:59:47 CDT 2009

Sean Carey wrote:
> Ok I have Yogis guides, I have the Data Book. I now have a 1990
> version  of volume:1 California Guidbook. I am going to at some point
> look into Halfmiles free maps. What regarding books and maps do I
> actually need?

I can only speak about the first 150 miles of the trail, but I would say
you don't NEED any of them. The trail is well marked. Too well in some
areas.

You SHOULD have maps, and there are probably times when you do NEED
them. I would not hike without them.

The easiest way to determine where you are on the trail is with the Data
Book.

Yogi's book gives good descriptions of water sources and will give
directions on parts of the trail that may be confusing. The town maps
are nice to have, but may not be essential.

You also really should have the water report.

I seldom consulted a map. I used the maps mainly to get the bigger
picture of the area I was hiking in. I used the maps in the PCT Atlas. I
found the Guidebook maps too small too be useful, and I never had time
to read all the verbiage. I checked the Data Book continually. I used
information in Yogi's book to plan where to get water and how much to
carry. I did not have the water report with me at the beginning of the
trail, but learned about that mistake when I found the water at Boulder
Oaks camp ground turned off. I used Yogi's town maps, but could have
just as easily asked someone for directions.

I found the water report difficult to read, so I transfered the
information to Yogi's guide, then used that in place of the water
report. I carried both, but only consulted my hand written notes in
Yogi's guide while hiking.