[pct-l] stoves and water filters

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Thu Mar 26 10:45:50 CDT 2009

I used a MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove on my thru hike. A canister stove
is an excellent choice. They are easy to operate, cook quickly, the flame is
adjustable and you don't need a windscreen.

Fuel canisters are more widely available than you would think. You can find
a list of places where you can usually find canisters here:

http://pctatlas.com/blog/fuel-canister/

There are a few places, such as the Sierra and Washington where canisters
are harder to find, but you can always mail them forward to yourself, or
just carry one of the larger 8 oz canisters.

I was able to get 2-3 weeks out of the large canisters cooking once per day,
and 7+ days out of the smaller 3.5 ounce canisters. Just boil water, add
food, and stick it in a pot cozy to conserve fuel.

Pump water filters suck.

They are heavy and a pain in the butt to operate. A better alternative is an
inline water filter like the Sawyer inline filter, which weighs only a
couple of ounces.

In SoCal you will often go through 2 gallons of water per day for drinking
and cooking. That's a lot of pumping to do. With the inline filter you just
fill up your water bladder and go, every time you take a drink the water is
filtered automatically.

The downside of those inline filters is they get clogged after a while.
According to the manufacturer there is supposed to be a way to backwash them
and clean them out, but I never figured that out. After 700 miles drinking
through it was like trying to suck a balloon through a straw.

North of Kennedy Meadows I ditched the filter altogether and used only MSR
Sweetwater drops for water treatment for the rest of the trip.

-Erik The Black
www.pctatlas.com

Message: 2