[pct-l] Trail Crest/ Whitney Portal

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 12:58:56 CDT 2009

> HI,
>
> I was wondering why some of the guide books don't mention
> hiking over Trail
> Crest  to Whitney Portal as a away of getting to Lone
> Pine?  I checked the
> Data book, Yogi's guide, and even the recent ( and very
> cool) PCT Atlas and
> none of them mention this option.
> >From what I hear, it is probably the easiest way to get
> into Lone Pine while
> bagging Whitney.
>
> Am I missing something here?  How is the trail going
> from Trail Crest to
> Whitney Portal in Mid June?

I assume it's not listed only because of the time and effort commitment involved.  That's a long, not especially thrilling climb out and climb back to the PCT.  Even though the hitching may be a little harder, it's shorter and more rewarding to use Cottonwood Pass or Kearsarge Pass to reach Lone Pine.