[pct-l] Agua Dulce

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Wed May 20 15:48:43 CDT 2009

{Date=05202009}
{code=9110011139788844}
The town of Agua Dulce is approached from the Vasquez rocks. Red and Yellow colored formations of rock. Great sweeping shapes that look like windswept clouds made of stone. The little canyons are miniature versions of those through which the trail had passed so many times in the past 455 miles.
The town of Agua Dulce itself is a Pastoral gem. Horse ranches, farms, and fields.
I would seriously consider moving here.. I wonder if they need plumbers?
We ate at the Sweetwater cafe. While chomping down on my Eggs Benedict a local fellow rode up to the Hardware store next door and "parked" his horse in the driveway. That horse did not move a muscle despite not even being tied to a post.. Just reigns dangling!
Jeffand Donna Sauf are the most generous people I have ever met. They allow dozens of hikers to "camp" in their beautiful ranch style yard. They supplied showers,food,a swamp cooled "hiker house" with kitchen and computers. All the hikers had comfortable cots or plush airbeds to sleep on. This place truly deserves the title Hiker Heaven!
While I was there they ran out of water but had a truck there to refill the tank immediately. I know from the place I live that water deliveries are noot cheap.
THANKYOU so much Jeff and Donna Saufley for noy only putting us up but also putting up with us! You both a an inspiration to all with your generosity and kindness.
The Saufley's friend Kari also desrves much thanks for lwtting us hiker trash use her pool as well as feed us watermelon!
This morning it was difficult to leave Agua Dulce but I will never forget this place or the folks in it. Thank You All!
The PCT climbs out of town back up along sage and manzanita covered round topped ridges. The heat is not bad at all and a fickle breeze sweeps away flies and aweat alike.
Boquet canyon is soon reached and the remarkably blue reservoir sparkles to the west. I just passed the first Anderson water cache and am currently climbing again. Have'nt looked at the maps much today. I am just following the trail and enjoying the chapparal. I am beginning to really like this type of country.. Much more than I thought I would.
There is an austere purity in this sunbaked landscape.
A helicopter is carying buckets of water up  The ridge ahead but I see no smoke. Nothing I can do about it. Just hike on up and see what is going on. The trail is the trail. Not always perfect,not always efficient, indifferent to those upon it.. It's just the trail.
I love this trail.
-Iceaxe
Next stop... Mojave!
PS I apologize for not responding to my guestbook entries. I did read them but had issues postiing responses. I will post soon!  Thanks Everyone!
Sent from the Trail on my Peek