[pct-l] Late Start Northbound?

bigsatoshi at cox.net bigsatoshi at cox.net
Mon May 25 14:52:36 CDT 2009

Hi Everyone.

I'm new and was hoping to gain some insight from all of you.  Any opinions will be appreciated!

I was planning on starting a northbound thruhike late April but was delayed.  I have all of my equipment (base weight about 15lbs.) and have been doing training hikes for some time.  Is it too late for me to start a northbound hike?  I understand temperatures are getting hot, but I was born in Arizona and have been here my whole life.  All of my training is in 100* heat so I don't see that as a large obstacle like some might.  I will be hiking with an Chrome Dome umbrella for extra cooling.  From what I can find on the water reports, there is still plenty of water in SoCal.  It looks like at most I would have to carry about a days supply.

Are there other factors besides heat and water that I am not seeing?  Is it too dangerous to leave this late?  I am hiking solo.  I was considering a southbound hike or a flip-flop if you all recommend it.  Anyone else leaving late and want to join up?

Thanks for the help!
-Kevin