[pct-l] Bear questions

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Tue May 26 20:49:11 CDT 2009

If you are talking about the southern Kennedy Mdws, a bear can is required
in much of the area.  The national parks (ie, Yosemite) have a list on-line
of approved cans.  If you plan on more than one trip in the Sierras, it's
probably worth the cost to buy one.  Like backpacks, the larger the can, the
more tempting it is to fill it (and add weight!).  If you plan to buy, the
lightest cans are the most expensive.  The Garcias are easy to find/rent,
but also relatively heavy.
Do not try to cross the Sierras without protecting your food; these bears
are amazingly good at finding hiker food.  The stories abound...