[pct-l] Tents at all

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Sun Nov 1 14:48:34 CST 2009

I realize that this response is a bit late, but I have a little time this
beautiful Sunday afternoon in Tahoe to get back to old email I was
interested in.

"What do I want to carry with my on my PCT hike? Do I really need a tent? Do
I want to carry its weight?"

These and many other questions first burden the aspiring thru hiker in
his/her planning stage. However, anyone desiring to do such a huge, remote,
physically challenging and often painful, long-term, and long-distance
"expedition" should not be asking this - they should already know the answer
based on who they are, what they like to do out on the trail, and what they
want to get out of such a "hike," because they have backpacked a lot
already, accomplished a few multi-week trips in the worst of conditions, and
they know what they're up against.

If you do not know these things yet, you will be "schooled" along the trail
when the elements and circumstances come upon you. Either you will grow and
mature through them, coming out the other end of the trail a different
person, or you will have to retreat to deal with these issues you didn't
know or understand existed before you started. Not everyone who starts
finishes, for a variety of reasons, some of them internal. Some folks can
regroup on the trail, assume Plan B, and move ahead, while others may need
to go off-trail, briefly, to readjust and re-evaluate, and return to the
adventure. This is all the learning process that the Journey takes us
through.

Realistic planning and preparation helps prevent a lot of this trail
turmoil. If you want to take anything to the "next level," train for it,
learn about how to do it to that degree and practice. You can't fight the
Master and expect to win if you don't train at his level.

Take a tent (or not) for the reasons I delineated in our Forum at
Postholer.com, under "Preparation, Safety, and Snow Travel," entitled "To
Tent or Not to Tent." Know yourself and what you prefer when in the
backcountry in all conditions. You are the most important person back there.
Do and take what suits you best, what makes you happy. If something "works"
for Mtnned, that doesn't mean that it will work for you! Get out there and
test yourself and your gear, then decide what to take on your longer trip.
Just because John Muir carried next to nothing and was "fine" doesn't mean
that you have to nor want to. Just because some hikers go 30-40 miles per
day....

This point of view applies to everything eaten, carried, and done by hikers.

Mtnned
Mountain Education