[pct-l] A Longer Schedule encouraged

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Sun Nov 1 15:06:37 CST 2009

I just want to lift up the attitude of a poster from two weeks ago who is
interested in having more trail time to do more things while he is out
there, thus he has decided to depart Mexico weeks ahead of the "wave."

What I want to encourage all of you planning for next season's thru hike is
to take more time along the trail to enjoy all it has to offer. Sure, you're
out there to hike, make the miles, get to Canada, but consider that it the
opportunity of a lifetime and take a little more time while you're there to
explore the side canyon, go fishing, climb a tree, take a day-hike up that
peak over there. When are you going to be able to come back?

Start earlier, if you can! You can extend only so long into the Fall before
the snow starts flying again and powder snow, often wet and heavy, is a
world different from the spring sierra cement you walked over months
earlier. Plan for more days off on trail. Who knows what you will do if you
had the time? Consider washing your clothes, going swimming, hey, maybe even
sunbathe and read a book. Even though the rhythms within you say to keep on
walking, cool your jets and check out what is around you, in detail. Rest.

You're going to get snow, anyway, and a little is no different from a lot,
really, in how you get through it. Just learn how before you go!

Mtnned
Mountain Education