[pct-l] Section D roads, trails, and empty wilderness all so close to LA!

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 3 14:11:40 CST 2009

So good to hear from you, Sage.  We got out and did some further
investigating this weekend.  Here's what we found:

The PCT is closed from I-15 to some undisclosed point (I believe the San
Bernardino/Angeles National Forest border).  There were trail closure signs
at Swarthout Canyon, and a check of the San Bernardino NF website says the
trail is closed until November 8. Unless the San Bernardino Nat'l Forest
renews or extends their closure, the PCT should be open from I-15 to Islip
Saddle for next year's nobos, and you won't have to walk Lone Pine Road.
Back on the PCT, there's really no reason to go beyond Islip, because of
Yellow-legged Frog closure which also closes the Burkhardt Trail to the High
Desert National Recreation Trail, so while there is a trail, it's closed in
the middle.

There is access down to the road walk around the closure at two places:
Vincent Gap and Islip Saddle.  If hikers leave the PCT at Vincent Gap, they
will bypass Mt. Baden Powell and Little Jimmy spring and campground. If that
is their choice, from Vincent Gap hikers can either take the Manzanita
Trail, and 8.something mile trail down to South Fork Campground.  Or, they
can take the Big Rock Creek dirt road, which leads down to the paved road
(mileage points forthcoming).

If one stays on the trail to Islip (northbound) there you have two choices.
You can take the South Fork Trail directly down, which is a 5.5 miles
descent to the South Fork Campground, which leads out to Big Rock Creek Road
and the road walk around the clousure.  Walking south from there you find
ample water (even in November) and campsites.  Second, the South Fork Trail
also meets up with the Devils Chair trail, which drops you over to Devil's
Punchbowl, and the road (at this point Valyermo Road) can be taken from
there.

The big thing that everyone needs to be aware of:  IT'S A 45 MILE (MINIMUM)
ROAD WALK IN THE MOJAVE. Sage did it, so it can be done for those who want
to walk the entire route.  However, I know how much hikers hate road walks.
This is going to be very important for hikers planning their trek in 2010.
If they decide to skip around this section, they will be a week ahead of
schedule, and most of the nobo thrus wind up stalling because of snow in the
sierras without being a week ahead.

I have gathered road mileage information as well as water and resupply
information which I will be putting all the details together for those
planning their 2010 hike. I will get it posted soon, for those planning
their hikes next year.

L-Rod

p.s.  I got another package in . . . one more mystery sobo on the trail.